New York State History Month
by Lynne Belluscio
Someone declared November “New York History Month.” So I thought I’d give you a pop quiz. See how well you do.
1. Dutch colonists established a small settlement at Fort Orange in: 1620 1624 1730 or 1734?
2. New Netherland was captured in 1664 by: the Indians –the Dutch – the French - the English?
3. In the 18th century, in 1720, New York’s population consisted of 16%: Swedish – German – Irish – Slaves?
4. The trial of John Peter Zengler in 1735 established the rights of: freemen – women – the press – churches?
5. In August 1776, the largest fleet assembled in the 18th century – over 30,000 British sailors and soldiers were moored at Staten Island. New York City remained under British control throughout the Revolution after the city was abandoned by: General George Washington – General Gates – General Benedict Arnold - General Sullivan?
6. The Revolutionary War event which came closest to LeRoy was: Battle of Ticonderoga – Battle of Saratoga – Clinton-Sullivan Campaign – Battle of Black Rock?
Top of Page